Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Spinsterhood? No

M asked me for lunch not with an invitation card of course but more like she wanted me to join her. 

A message popped out on my screen; "Hey are you going to cafe later?" Yes. "Ok, Great see you there!"

You see being the kind of person that I am now, I don't want to go lunch with anyone but sometimes I just have to give in to the kind thoughts of my colleagues who are trying to pull me back to civilization.

Along with food on her hands, M brought some of her girlfriends to the table as well.  A tall lady on her thirties and a skinny girl on her late twenties appeared in front of me and I nodded to welcome them to the table.

"Have you found someone yet,how about the guy on the matrimony website?" her friend asked.

"I will only marry someone with hundred thousand balance in his account"she said. Her friend lectured her about the true intention of marriage and why is it wrong to think that way. From the look on her face, I knew exactly that she was just saying that to brush off the marriage talk from her shoulder. 

After they left,she told me something that I rarely hear from her. She shared some personal stuff to me, someone whom she barely knew apart from the fact we are working in the same department.

"It's not that I don't want to get married,I'm already thirty.He's not committed towards our relationship. He said he has some obligations  and his siblings are not married yet so he cant just ring the wedding bell yet. I don't think I can wait any longer for a guy who doesn't commit. If my parents come up with someone I'm just going to get hitched. I need some kind of security." 

That day I wasn't so much worried about my stolen lunch time, I was more concerned on what will happen in 5 years time.

The clock is ticking ...







17 comments:

  1. I am 30, single, and not in a relationship. Maybe I should be worried, right? When I was 25, I was really worried that I might end up being single for the rest of my life. But when I reached this age, I honestly don't feel the need for having a partner at this time. Maybe there is something inside me that tells me I'm not yet ready for that and that God probably has other plans for me. There is no guarantee, though, that I will ever find Mr. Right, but whether I get married or not, life will go on and my own happiness is my own responsibility and won't be dependent on having a life partner or not. ♡ :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I have to agree with you. Your age is your age and your life is your life..I hope you stay happy in whatever path you have chosen for yourself :)

      Delete
  2. such talks make me so nervous...I am 24 and the marriage word is like all around!! Why do we make life complex.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes. What happened to the romantic notion that marriage was the epitome of your life? I mean, careers seem to trump that now days. Kids? Meh. It's all about career. I sometimes wish we could suffuse a sense of what this mentality is doing to the stability of our future--as a nation, as a people, as individuals. Where is the commitment? Where is the fidelity? Where is the love?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life's changing..and people are running towards wrong direction nowadays

      Delete
  4. What will be will be. Each life plays out a different note. You never know what symphony yours will sing;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I can create my own destiny..:(
      But such is life..what will be will be

      Delete
  5. Eh, I'm still single. I'm still young. I'll find someone soon.

    I hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope u can find someone soon..and yeah a new job as well :)

      Delete
  6. I hate everything traditional, just because it feels as if doing it means doing what is expected.

    /Avy

    http://mymotherfuckedmickjagger.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sad..I live among people who expect things like marriage and kids from me

      Delete
  7. Forget about the ticking clock. No one should look up to a person who is not willing to commit. They are so not worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. sounds like me and bridget jones at the same time.... I was born and raised in an extremely conservative and traditional city...and in México..it is custom to grow up, get married, make babies and that's it...you're a weirdo if you don't follow that line... I'm 27, unmarried, without a boyfriend, ALL my girlfriends are married and with babies already...and my grandma gets sad and screams to me that I'm an old spinster, an old maid... but you know what..I don't care..I've always known the married life wasn't for me, I never wanted to be a mother nor wifey... yes, I've been in love..but the marriage, the commitment... I guess I won't want that until I'm seriously in love....I moved to another place, I left it all and came to the Caribbean...I've been living here for a year now and love it!..it's such a different lifestyle... unmarried guys and married ones without kids, people that don't judge... loners, travelers, bohemians, hippies... independent women, yogis, surfers... there's no such thing as a closed circle of society as the one I used to live in..there's no country club, there's no elitism, there's no expectations of all the girls getting married by their 20s, no superficial crap, no labels... it's amazing.... I always knew I didn't belong to the city I was born..we're not all the same, we don't all want the same things.... don't let the ticking clock bother you, or customs or expectations of others...do what you want, it's YOUR life... if love comes, good; if not, don't panic..something else will...only time will tell... but there's no harm in letting time pass as long as you enjoy every single moment of the ride..single or taken..enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank a lot for reading and commenting on this. You are so right ..Maybe i should concentrate more on enjoying life rather than worrying about the ticking clock..Im glad to hear that Carribean is treating you well.. :)..Im quite sick with the expectation from people around me..I wish i can run away to place like carribean someday..

      Delete

Unwrap a smile and leave some love!